Spring is finally here! Let’s open those windows, let in the fresh air, dust your house from top to bottom, clean behind all the appliances, and complete your Spring Plumbing Maintenance checklist. You don’t have a checklist for Spring Plumbing Maintenance? It’s a good thing you visited our blog today, as we happen to have the checklist for you here!
- Check Your Sump Pump : Make sure your sump pump is working properly. Fill the pit with enough water to turn the pump on and watch it pump the water out. Then go outside and find the end of the sump pump drain line, maybe a curb or storm drain, and make sure water discharges.
- Check Downspouts & Gutters : Make sure downspouts and gutters are clear of debris, birds’ nests, leaves, etc.
- Turn Outdoor Faucets On Carefully : Turn the faucet on slowly. We recommend you have someone on the other side of the wall or in the basement before you turn on your faucet. Many hose faucets break inside the house. This way, if there is an issue, they can quickly alert you to turn it off. Check the faucet for drips or leaks and make the necessary repairs.
- Inspect Your Toilets : Examine your toilet tank and bowl for leaks and cracks. Check the parts inside the toilet tank for corrosion and wear and tear. You can check your toilet for hidden leaks by adding a few drops of food coloring in the toilet tank. If the toilet is leaking, the color will start to seep into the bowl. Make the necessary repairs to save water.
- Check Indoor Faucets For Leaks : Go around your house and do a visual inspection of your faucets. Are they dripping or leaking? Repair the leaks now and save yourself money and water.
- Check Pipes For Leaks : Check exposed pipes in your basement and under your sink for leaks.
- Drain Your Water Heater : Carefully drain several gallons of water from your water heater tank. This will help remove any minerals and sediment that built up and help ensure a longer life for your water heater.
We realize we just added a few more things to your Spring “To Do” list. The extra steps of preventative maintenance can help save you money in the long run. Did you find a leak while doing your maintenance checks and do you need help repairing it? Emergency Plumbing Heating & Air is available 24/7. Don’t have the time to perform the Spring routine maintenance checklist? Give us a call at (740) 217-0450, and one of our professionals will be happy to carry out your Spring Maintenance for you. Happy Spring!